Ok, so I guess you have all heard the big news that Facebook has introduced #HASHTAGS! Remember when some people where making fun of some other people who used #hashtags on Facebook and where creating memos? Well, I suppose all those who are guilty will have quite a bit of comment and picture deleting going on these days! 🙂
This is a new era for Facebook Marketing, and everybody is trying to figure out how hashtags work. To be honest, I don’t really know or get how they will work for Fan Pages – I would like to check it out myself, test it, and then I will be better equipped with a comment. I am following and reading all the blog posts out there about this, so that I can get a better understanding but like I said, I won’t know unless I try it myself.
So far, what I can tell you about is what I read on Facebook’s Official Marketing blog (by the way, did you know more than 4.75 billion pieces of content are shared on Facebook every single day? That’s an inconceivably high amount of content!).
- If you are already using hashtags in an advertising campaign through other channels, you can amplify these campaigns by including your hashtags in Facebook advertising. The same creative best practices on Facebook still apply – compelling copy and photography that is in the brand voice works best.
- Any hashtags that you use on other platforms that are connected to your Facebook Page will be automatically clickable and searchable on Facebook.
- Like other Facebook marketing tools, hashtags allow you to join and drive the conversations happening about your business. We recommend you search for and view real-time public conversations and test strategies to drive those conversations using hashtags.
- Hashtags do not impact your distribution or engagement in News Feed on either desktop or mobile. We recommend you continue to focus on your existing campaigns to drive your most important business objectives.
In days we will see how UK users have been including hashtags in Facebook. In the meantime, I will be updating you with new ideas and strategies that you can implement in your business by achieving better engagement online.
Now, let’s go to #Facebook #Privacy as Mari Smith mentioned on her Fan Page:
* Hashtags work on personal profiles, fan pages and comments.
* As with all personal profile features on Facebook, privacy settings prevail.
* If you publish a post on your profile to friends only, and the post contains a hashtag – yes, the hashtag will be clickable and open up to display all other posts on Facebook containing that hashtag.
* But, ONLY friends can see friends-only posts that show up in hashtag searches.
* Public posts—with or without hashtags—are public.
* Private (friends-only) posts—with or without hashtags—are just that: private and visible to friends only.
*Even when friends include hashtags in comments on your friends-only thread, your post is still private and visible just to your friends.
*Individual comments on threads do not surface in hashtag searches; just posts show in searches.
There is a lot of information going around the web about hashtags, so let’s see what happens.
Last night I could see hashtags working on my personal profile quite well! For your hashtags to be available to the public, you will have to post your post visible to everybody, not only your friends group. If you are posting and your post can be seen by your friends, then your hashtag will not be ‘public’.
So what are your views on Facebook #hashtags? Let me know by leaving your comments below or tweet them to me 🙂